San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves 5 Dead, Hate Crime Angle Under Investigation
Digital Desk
Security guard and two teenage suspects among the dead; attack took place at one of California’s largest Islamic centers
At least five people were killed in a shooting incident at a mosque in San Diego on Monday, triggering panic and a massive security response. Authorities said the dead include a security guard and two teenage suspects, while investigators are probing the possibility of the attack being linked to religious hatred.
According to police officials, the incident occurred at the Islamic Center of San Diego, one of the largest mosques in the region. The complex also houses a school where children study Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran. Police said the two suspects were teenagers aged 17 and 19. Their bodies were found inside a vehicle near the mosque premises. Preliminary investigations suggest the two may have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Authorities, however, have not officially confirmed the motive behind the attack and said the investigation is still ongoing.
Security agencies are examining the case from a possible hate crime angle, though officials have refrained from sharing detailed findings at this stage. The incident has raised serious concerns within the Muslim community and renewed debate over gun violence and religiously motivated attacks in the United States. Videos circulating after the incident showed children being evacuated safely from the mosque complex by security personnel and police officers. More than a dozen children were seen holding hands while being escorted out of the building amid tight security. Several emergency vehicles, police teams and armed officers were deployed around the area soon after the shooting.
Imam Taha Hassane said that a special outreach event involving non-Muslim visitors was taking place at the mosque on Monday. The event was aimed at promoting interfaith dialogue and helping people understand Islam better. He said all students and teachers at the school were safe and accounted for. However, as a precautionary measure, the mosque and school campus were shut down for the rest of the day. Community members were also advised to stay away from the area until security agencies completed their operation.
According to the mosque’s official information, the center regularly conducts community welfare programs and interfaith activities in addition to daily prayers and religious gatherings. The institution is considered an important cultural and religious hub for Muslims living in Southern California. California Governor Gavin Newsom condemned the attack and expressed solidarity with the Muslim community. In a statement, he said California stands with Muslim families and worshippers during this difficult time.
Newsom described the attack as horrifying, especially because it targeted a place where families and children gather peacefully for worship and education. He added that there is “no place for hate in California” and confirmed that state emergency teams and the California Highway Patrol were coordinating closely with local authorities. The incident is the latest in a series of mass shootings reported in the United States this year. In April 2026, a man in Louisiana allegedly shot dead eight children in Shreveport, including seven of his own children. Earlier in February, three people were killed during a shooting at a high school hockey event in Rhode Island.
Gun violence continues to remain a major issue in the United States, where firearm ownership is protected under the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. The country’s gun culture dates back more than two centuries and allows civilians broad access to firearms. Critics argue that easy access to weapons has contributed to repeated incidents of mass shootings, while supporters continue to defend gun ownership rights. The San Diego mosque attack is expected to intensify discussions around hate crimes, religious intolerance and gun control laws in America. Federal and local agencies are continuing their investigation, while additional security has been deployed around religious institutions in the region.
--------
🚨 Beat the News Rush – Join Now!
Get breaking alerts, hot exclusives, and game-changing stories instantly on your phone. No delays, no fluff – just the edge you need. ⚡
Tap to join:
🟢 WhatsApp Channel: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Crave more?
🅕 Facebook: Dainik Jagran MP CG English
🅧 Twitter (X): Dainik Jagran MP CG
🅘 Instagram: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Share the fire – keep your crew ahead! 🗞️🔥
San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves 5 Dead, Hate Crime Angle Under Investigation
Digital Desk
At least five people were killed in a shooting incident at a mosque in San Diego on Monday, triggering panic and a massive security response. Authorities said the dead include a security guard and two teenage suspects, while investigators are probing the possibility of the attack being linked to religious hatred.
According to police officials, the incident occurred at the Islamic Center of San Diego, one of the largest mosques in the region. The complex also houses a school where children study Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran. Police said the two suspects were teenagers aged 17 and 19. Their bodies were found inside a vehicle near the mosque premises. Preliminary investigations suggest the two may have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Authorities, however, have not officially confirmed the motive behind the attack and said the investigation is still ongoing.
Security agencies are examining the case from a possible hate crime angle, though officials have refrained from sharing detailed findings at this stage. The incident has raised serious concerns within the Muslim community and renewed debate over gun violence and religiously motivated attacks in the United States. Videos circulating after the incident showed children being evacuated safely from the mosque complex by security personnel and police officers. More than a dozen children were seen holding hands while being escorted out of the building amid tight security. Several emergency vehicles, police teams and armed officers were deployed around the area soon after the shooting.
Imam Taha Hassane said that a special outreach event involving non-Muslim visitors was taking place at the mosque on Monday. The event was aimed at promoting interfaith dialogue and helping people understand Islam better. He said all students and teachers at the school were safe and accounted for. However, as a precautionary measure, the mosque and school campus were shut down for the rest of the day. Community members were also advised to stay away from the area until security agencies completed their operation.
According to the mosque’s official information, the center regularly conducts community welfare programs and interfaith activities in addition to daily prayers and religious gatherings. The institution is considered an important cultural and religious hub for Muslims living in Southern California. California Governor Gavin Newsom condemned the attack and expressed solidarity with the Muslim community. In a statement, he said California stands with Muslim families and worshippers during this difficult time.
Newsom described the attack as horrifying, especially because it targeted a place where families and children gather peacefully for worship and education. He added that there is “no place for hate in California” and confirmed that state emergency teams and the California Highway Patrol were coordinating closely with local authorities. The incident is the latest in a series of mass shootings reported in the United States this year. In April 2026, a man in Louisiana allegedly shot dead eight children in Shreveport, including seven of his own children. Earlier in February, three people were killed during a shooting at a high school hockey event in Rhode Island.
Gun violence continues to remain a major issue in the United States, where firearm ownership is protected under the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. The country’s gun culture dates back more than two centuries and allows civilians broad access to firearms. Critics argue that easy access to weapons has contributed to repeated incidents of mass shootings, while supporters continue to defend gun ownership rights. The San Diego mosque attack is expected to intensify discussions around hate crimes, religious intolerance and gun control laws in America. Federal and local agencies are continuing their investigation, while additional security has been deployed around religious institutions in the region.