Minister's Son Arrested in POCSO Case; Surrender Claim Disputed
Digital Desk
Union Minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar's son arrested in POCSO case after Telangana High Court denied protection. Police reject voluntary surrender claims amid allegations.
Union Minister's Son Arrested in POCSO Case; Claims of Surrender Disputed
Telangana Police reject Bandi Bhagirath's voluntary surrender claim amid POCSO allegations
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Bandi Sanjay Kumar claimed on Saturday that he had handed over his son Bandi Bhagirath to police in connection with a POCSO case. However, within minutes of his statement, Telangana Police contradicted the narrative, confirming the arrest but rejecting any suggestion of voluntary surrender.
"Accused Bhagirath has been arrested on the outskirts of Hyderabad city. This is not a surrender," a police statement read, signaling a widening gap between the minister's public position and ground reality.
The Case and Initial Complaint
The case stems from an allegation filed by the mother of a 17-year-old girl on May 8. According to the complainant, Bhagirath sexually exploited her daughter following a promise of marriage. Police registered a case invoking provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
Investigators said the two had been in contact for roughly seven to eight months before the complaint. The minor's mother alleged that during this period, sexual assault took place. Bhagirath has denied the charges.
High Court Denies Protection
The path to arrest gained clarity on Friday evening when the Telangana High Court refused to grant Bhagirath protection from arrest. Justice T Madhavi Devi heard his petition, which stretched nearly to midnight as his legal team sought interim bail until the order was finalized.
The defence argued that the court had authority to grant bail pending final hearing, and claimed the girl's family had pressured him for marriage after taking โน50,000 initially, later escalating demands to โน5 crore. However, the judge remained unmoved.
Before proceedings began, Justice Devi made an unusual statement: "A misinformation campaign was run against me on social media, which has caused me distress." The remark underscored the case's high-profile nature and online frenzy surrounding it.
Counter-Narrative from the Accused
Bhagirath has filed his own complaint, alleging a honey trap and extortion scheme. Through a statement issued by the minister's public relations office, he claimed a woman attempted to trap him through her daughter and later blackmailed him for money. The statement also suggested the victim's actual age differed from what was being reported.
Police booked a lookout circular against Bhagirath earlier to prevent him from fleeing the country—a procedural step that preceded his eventual arrest.
Minister's Public Stand
Bandi Sanjay Kumar had previously stated that if his son is found guilty, he should face punishment like any other citizen. "Everyone is equal before the law," the minister said, a position that appeared tested once his son actually faced arrest.
The minister's framing of handing over his son voluntarily stood at odds with police records showing an active arrest operation, not a surrender arrangement.
Political Fallout
Opposition leaders seized on the case swiftly. BRS leader K.T. Rama Rao questioned the police's handling and pointed to delays in action against the minister's son. He demanded that Bandi Sanjay Kumar either resign or face removal from his post, questioning whether any special exemption had been extended.
"Where is the government's 'Beti Bachao' campaign now?" KTR asked, referencing the BJP's child protection initiative. He alleged the victim was facing injustice while the accused received differential treatment.
What Happens Next
Bhagirath's remand status and further proceedings in the case remain pending. The divergence between the minister's narrative of voluntary surrender and police confirmation of arrest has already drawn scrutiny from multiple quarters.
The case now sits at the intersection of law enforcement, political messaging, and allegations of protectionism—a terrain that will likely stay contentious as investigation proceeds.
--------
๐จ Beat the News Rush โ Join Now!
Get breaking alerts, hot exclusives, and game-changing stories instantly on your phone. No delays, no fluff โ just the edge you need. โก
Tap to join:ย
๐ข WhatsApp Channel: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Crave more?
๐ Facebook: Dainik Jagran MP CG English
๐ ง Twitter (X): Dainik Jagran MP CG
๐ Instagram: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Share the fire โ keep your crew ahead! ๐๏ธ๐ฅ
Minister's Son Arrested in POCSO Case; Surrender Claim Disputed
Digital Desk
Union Minister's Son Arrested in POCSO Case; Claims of Surrender Disputed
Telangana Police reject Bandi Bhagirath's voluntary surrender claim amid POCSO allegations
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Bandi Sanjay Kumar claimed on Saturday that he had handed over his son Bandi Bhagirath to police in connection with a POCSO case. However, within minutes of his statement, Telangana Police contradicted the narrative, confirming the arrest but rejecting any suggestion of voluntary surrender.
"Accused Bhagirath has been arrested on the outskirts of Hyderabad city. This is not a surrender," a police statement read, signaling a widening gap between the minister's public position and ground reality.
The Case and Initial Complaint
The case stems from an allegation filed by the mother of a 17-year-old girl on May 8. According to the complainant, Bhagirath sexually exploited her daughter following a promise of marriage. Police registered a case invoking provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
Investigators said the two had been in contact for roughly seven to eight months before the complaint. The minor's mother alleged that during this period, sexual assault took place. Bhagirath has denied the charges.
High Court Denies Protection
The path to arrest gained clarity on Friday evening when the Telangana High Court refused to grant Bhagirath protection from arrest. Justice T Madhavi Devi heard his petition, which stretched nearly to midnight as his legal team sought interim bail until the order was finalized.
The defence argued that the court had authority to grant bail pending final hearing, and claimed the girl's family had pressured him for marriage after taking โน50,000 initially, later escalating demands to โน5 crore. However, the judge remained unmoved.
Before proceedings began, Justice Devi made an unusual statement: "A misinformation campaign was run against me on social media, which has caused me distress." The remark underscored the case's high-profile nature and online frenzy surrounding it.
Counter-Narrative from the Accused
Bhagirath has filed his own complaint, alleging a honey trap and extortion scheme. Through a statement issued by the minister's public relations office, he claimed a woman attempted to trap him through her daughter and later blackmailed him for money. The statement also suggested the victim's actual age differed from what was being reported.
Police booked a lookout circular against Bhagirath earlier to prevent him from fleeing the country—a procedural step that preceded his eventual arrest.
Minister's Public Stand
Bandi Sanjay Kumar had previously stated that if his son is found guilty, he should face punishment like any other citizen. "Everyone is equal before the law," the minister said, a position that appeared tested once his son actually faced arrest.
The minister's framing of handing over his son voluntarily stood at odds with police records showing an active arrest operation, not a surrender arrangement.
Political Fallout
Opposition leaders seized on the case swiftly. BRS leader K.T. Rama Rao questioned the police's handling and pointed to delays in action against the minister's son. He demanded that Bandi Sanjay Kumar either resign or face removal from his post, questioning whether any special exemption had been extended.
"Where is the government's 'Beti Bachao' campaign now?" KTR asked, referencing the BJP's child protection initiative. He alleged the victim was facing injustice while the accused received differential treatment.
What Happens Next
Bhagirath's remand status and further proceedings in the case remain pending. The divergence between the minister's narrative of voluntary surrender and police confirmation of arrest has already drawn scrutiny from multiple quarters.
The case now sits at the intersection of law enforcement, political messaging, and allegations of protectionism—a terrain that will likely stay contentious as investigation proceeds.