Sweden School Sword Attack: 1 Dead, Three Injured in Fagersta

Sandeep Patel

Sweden School Sword Attack: 1 Dead, Three Injured in Fagersta

One person was killed and three injured in a sword attack at Brinellskolan in Fagersta, Sweden. An 18-year-old suspect was arrested as police investigate the motive.

An 18-year-old man was arrested after a sword attack at Brinellskolan in Fagersta, Sweden. One person was killed and three others were injured, with two reported to be seriously wounded.

A sword attack at a high school in Fagersta, central Sweden, left one person dead and three others injured on Friday, August 21, police said. An 18-year-old man was arrested after police responded to reports of an ongoing deadly incident at Brinellskolan.

Police said there was no immediate reason to believe that more than one attacker was involved. The suspect was reportedly shot by police before being taken into custody. Authorities are investigating the motive.

The attack occurred shortly after schools had reopened following the summer break, prompting a major police and emergency response and lockdowns at several schools in the area.

Attack at Brinellskolan

Police received an emergency call shortly after 2 pm local time on Friday concerning an ongoing deadly incident at Brinellskolan, a secondary school in Fagersta.

A large police operation followed, involving armed officers, emergency services and a police helicopter. The municipality confirmed that an attacker carrying a sword had entered the school and injured several people.

Police later entered the building to secure the premises and found one person dead inside.

Authorities said the other injured people had already managed to leave the school building.

One Dead, Three Injured

Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said the confirmed casualty figure was one deceased person and three injured.

Two of the injured were seriously wounded, while the third sustained less serious injuries.

Regional healthcare authorities said two seriously injured boys, both under 18, were taken to hospital. One underwent emergency surgery, while both were reported to be in stable condition.

The condition of the third injured person was less serious.

Suspect Taken Into Custody

The suspect is an 18-year-old man. Police said they had arrested him after the attack and did not believe there were additional perpetrators.

Swedish broadcaster SVT reported that the suspect was a former student at Brinellskolan and had previously been convicted of assault. He was reportedly wearing a helmet and carrying a sword during the attack.

Police have conducted searches at two addresses linked to the suspect as part of the investigation.

The motive remains unknown.

Schools Placed Under Lockdown

The attack triggered security measures across Fagersta.

Several nearby schools were placed under lockdown while police secured the area and investigated whether there was any continuing threat. Students remained inside their schools for several hours.

Authorities later gave parents permission to collect their children after police confirmed that the immediate danger had passed.

Fagersta municipality also established a crisis centre to provide support to students, families and others affected by the incident.

First Days After Summer Break

The attack occurred as students were returning to school following the summer holiday.

Brinellskolan has around 450 students, making the incident particularly alarming for the local community. Witnesses described panic as students tried to find safety inside the building.

The municipality and regional authorities moved into heightened operational readiness to coordinate emergency resources following the attack.

Fagersta Mayor Åsa-Märta Sjöström described the incident as extremely serious and shocking.

Sweden’s Earlier School Attack

The Fagersta attack has also drawn comparisons with the 2015 school attack in Trollhättan, western Sweden.

In that incident, a sword-wielding attacker killed three people in a racially motivated attack before being shot by police.

Authorities have not established that the Fagersta attack was racially motivated or that it was directly connected to the 2015 incident. The motive in the latest case remains under investigation.

Police are therefore examining the suspect's background and circumstances surrounding the attack before drawing conclusions.

Investigation Continues

Investigators are now working to establish why the suspect entered the school, whether the attack was planned and what led to the violence.

Police have said they are not currently looking for another attacker. The suspect remains in custody while investigators gather evidence and examine his background.

Swedish authorities are also assessing the broader security implications for schools following the incident.

Fagersta School Attack: Key Facts

Detail Latest Information
Location Brinellskolan, Fagersta, Sweden
Date August 21, 2026
Weapon reported Sword
Deaths 1
Injured 3
Seriously injured 2
Suspect 18-year-old man
Status Arrested
Other attackers Police have no current reason to suspect any
Motive Under investigation
Nearby schools Temporarily placed under lockdown

What We Know So Far

The Fagersta attack has shocked a small Swedish community and triggered a major emergency response. One person was killed and three were injured after an 18-year-old suspect allegedly entered Brinellskolan carrying a sword.

Two injured students were seriously wounded but were reported to be in stable condition. The suspect was arrested after police intervention, while authorities continue to investigate the motive.

For now, police have said there is no indication of multiple attackers, and the investigation remains focused on the detained 18-year-old.

Recommended For You

--------

🚨 Beat the News Rush – Join Now!

Get breaking alerts, hot exclusives, and game-changing stories instantly on your phone. No delays, no fluff – just the edge you need. ⚡

Tap to join: 

🟢 WhatsApp Channel: Dainik Jagran MP CG

Crave more?

🅕 Facebook: Dainik Jagran MP CG English

🅧 Twitter (X): Dainik Jagran MP CG

🅘 Instagram: Dainik Jagran MP CG

Share the fire – keep your crew ahead! 🗞️🔥

Trending News