Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams After Student Protest

Digital Desk

Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams After Student Protest

Jharkhand cancels JSSC-CGL and TDPL exams after student protests and orders a probe into alleged recruitment irregularities since 2014.

Jharkhand has cancelled the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted exams after a prolonged student protest, while the government ordered a wider probe into recruitment irregularities since 2014.

The Jharkhand government has cancelled the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment examinations conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), following weeks of protests by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in the recruitment process.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision after a special Cabinet meeting in Ranchi on August 17. The government also ordered an investigation into recruitment examinations linked to TDPL since 2014 and announced measures to overhaul the examination system.

Cabinet accepts key demands

The decision came as student protests entered their 24th day. Several aspirants had also undertaken a hunger strike, demanding action over alleged irregularities in competitive examinations conducted in the state.

Soren said preliminary findings from ongoing investigations had revealed irregularities. He announced that the JSSC-CGL examination would be cancelled and that all examinations conducted by TDPL would also face cancellation.

The move addresses two of the protesters’ principal demands and marks a major shift in the state government’s handling of the recruitment controversy.

Probe to cover exams

The government has ordered a comprehensive investigation into examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014.

Soren said the state CID would examine the recruitment processes instead of limiting the investigation to the examinations currently at the centre of the protests. Reports also said a separate committee headed by a retired judge would examine the alleged irregularities.

The wider probe could bring several past recruitment processes under scrutiny and determine whether irregularities occurred across multiple examinations.

Students demand accountability

The protests were driven by allegations of paper leaks, manipulation and other irregularities in government recruitment examinations.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato had been on a hunger strike for 16 days before ending it after the government announced the cancellations. He described the decision as a major victory for the protesting students.

However, the government’s decision may not immediately settle every demand raised during the agitation. Questions remain over the students’ demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation probe and the manner in which cancelled examinations will be conducted again.

Recruitment system faces review

The government has also announced structural changes to prevent similar controversies in future recruitment examinations.

A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will examine the existing recruitment system and recommend measures to strengthen examination security and reduce the scope for malpractice.

The proposed reforms could cover examination management, technology, outsourcing and monitoring mechanisms.

Selected candidates face uncertainty

The cancellation also creates uncertainty for candidates who cleared the affected examinations and secured positions through the recruitment process.

While protesting aspirants welcomed the decision, candidates who had already qualified could face questions over their appointments and the next recruitment cycle. Authorities will need to clarify how affected candidates will be treated and whether fresh examinations will be held.

The government’s broader investigation will likely influence those decisions.

Political pressure intensifies

The recruitment controversy has become a significant political issue in Jharkhand, with student groups and opposition voices questioning the credibility of the examination system.

The government’s decision followed sustained pressure from protesters and growing public attention. By ordering a probe covering examinations conducted since 2014, the administration has also widened the scope beyond the immediate JSSC-CGL controversy.

The outcome of the investigation will determine whether officials, agencies or individuals face further action.

What happens next

The immediate priority for the Jharkhand government will be to complete the investigations and establish a transparent mechanism for fresh recruitment examinations. Authorities will also have to address candidates affected by the cancellations and provide a clear timetable for future tests.

For students preparing for Government Updates and recruitment examinations, the Jharkhand decision carries wider significance. The JSSC-CGL cancellation has brought examination integrity and accountability into sharp focus, while the probe into recruitment processes since 2014 could determine the next phase of Jharkhand’s public recruitment system.

english.dainikjagranmpcg.com
18 Aug 2026 By Sandeep.P

Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams After Student Protest

Digital Desk

Jharkhand has cancelled the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted exams after a prolonged student protest, while the government ordered a wider probe into recruitment irregularities since 2014.

The Jharkhand government has cancelled the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment examinations conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), following weeks of protests by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in the recruitment process.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision after a special Cabinet meeting in Ranchi on August 17. The government also ordered an investigation into recruitment examinations linked to TDPL since 2014 and announced measures to overhaul the examination system.

Cabinet accepts key demands

The decision came as student protests entered their 24th day. Several aspirants had also undertaken a hunger strike, demanding action over alleged irregularities in competitive examinations conducted in the state.

Soren said preliminary findings from ongoing investigations had revealed irregularities. He announced that the JSSC-CGL examination would be cancelled and that all examinations conducted by TDPL would also face cancellation.

The move addresses two of the protesters’ principal demands and marks a major shift in the state government’s handling of the recruitment controversy.

Probe to cover exams

The government has ordered a comprehensive investigation into examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014.

Soren said the state CID would examine the recruitment processes instead of limiting the investigation to the examinations currently at the centre of the protests. Reports also said a separate committee headed by a retired judge would examine the alleged irregularities.

The wider probe could bring several past recruitment processes under scrutiny and determine whether irregularities occurred across multiple examinations.

Students demand accountability

The protests were driven by allegations of paper leaks, manipulation and other irregularities in government recruitment examinations.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato had been on a hunger strike for 16 days before ending it after the government announced the cancellations. He described the decision as a major victory for the protesting students.

However, the government’s decision may not immediately settle every demand raised during the agitation. Questions remain over the students’ demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation probe and the manner in which cancelled examinations will be conducted again.

Recruitment system faces review

The government has also announced structural changes to prevent similar controversies in future recruitment examinations.

A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will examine the existing recruitment system and recommend measures to strengthen examination security and reduce the scope for malpractice.

The proposed reforms could cover examination management, technology, outsourcing and monitoring mechanisms.

Selected candidates face uncertainty

The cancellation also creates uncertainty for candidates who cleared the affected examinations and secured positions through the recruitment process.

While protesting aspirants welcomed the decision, candidates who had already qualified could face questions over their appointments and the next recruitment cycle. Authorities will need to clarify how affected candidates will be treated and whether fresh examinations will be held.

The government’s broader investigation will likely influence those decisions.

Political pressure intensifies

The recruitment controversy has become a significant political issue in Jharkhand, with student groups and opposition voices questioning the credibility of the examination system.

The government’s decision followed sustained pressure from protesters and growing public attention. By ordering a probe covering examinations conducted since 2014, the administration has also widened the scope beyond the immediate JSSC-CGL controversy.

The outcome of the investigation will determine whether officials, agencies or individuals face further action.

What happens next

The immediate priority for the Jharkhand government will be to complete the investigations and establish a transparent mechanism for fresh recruitment examinations. Authorities will also have to address candidates affected by the cancellations and provide a clear timetable for future tests.

For students preparing for Government Updates and recruitment examinations, the Jharkhand decision carries wider significance. The JSSC-CGL cancellation has brought examination integrity and accountability into sharp focus, while the probe into recruitment processes since 2014 could determine the next phase of Jharkhand’s public recruitment system.

https://english.dainikjagranmpcg.com/top-stories/jharkhand-cancels-jssc-cgl-tdpl-exams-after-student-protest/article-26542

Recommended For You

--------

🚨 Beat the News Rush – Join Now!

Get breaking alerts, hot exclusives, and game-changing stories instantly on your phone. No delays, no fluff – just the edge you need. ⚡

Tap to join: 

🟢 WhatsApp Channel: Dainik Jagran MP CG

Crave more?

🅕 Facebook: Dainik Jagran MP CG English

🅧 Twitter (X): Dainik Jagran MP CG

🅘 Instagram: Dainik Jagran MP CG

Share the fire – keep your crew ahead! 🗞️🔥

Trending News