ISI-Backed Shahzad Bhatti Network Busted, 253 Detained Across 14 States
Digital desk
Indian security agencies detained 253 people across 14 states in a crackdown on the Pakistan-based Shahzad Bhatti Network ahead of Independence Day.
Indian security agencies carried out a coordinated multi-state crackdown against the Pakistan-based Shahzad Bhatti Network (SBN) on August 12, detaining 253 people across 14 states ahead of Independence Day, according to the government.
The operation was aimed at disrupting alleged plans for subversive activities around August 15. More than 80 FIRs have been registered against the network so far, while more than 200 arrests have been made under various laws, including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and legislation dealing with arms, narcotics and explosives.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah said the operation had dismantled what the government described as an ISI-backed network and prevented its alleged plans to carry out attacks ahead of Independence Day.
253 Detained Across 14 States
According to the government, the crackdown was conducted jointly with state police forces through a real-time intelligence-sharing mechanism.
Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of detentions at 62, followed by Haryana with 52, Delhi with 51 and Punjab with 44.
Rajasthan reported 15 detentions, while Maharashtra recorded eight and Uttarakhand five. Karnataka, Gujarat and Bihar reported three detentions each.
Telangana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Kerala recorded two detentions each.
Fresh FIRs were also registered in Delhi and Karnataka as part of the coordinated action.
IEDs, Grenades Recovered
Security agencies also recovered weapons and surveillance equipment during the operations, according to the government.
The seized material included improvised explosive devices (IEDs), grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols and live ammunition.
Investigators also recovered CCTV cameras that the government said were allegedly being used for surveillance and espionage.
Amit Shah said the recoveries pointed towards alleged links between the network and Pakistan. The government has described SBN as a Pakistan-based terror syndicate allegedly involved in grenade, IED and petrol-bomb attacks as well as targeted killings in India.
Local Operatives Under Scanner
According to the government, the network allegedly relied on local conduits to conduct reconnaissance missions.
These operatives were allegedly tasked with monitoring police installations, defence establishments and religious sites. Authorities also alleged that members of the network paid local contacts to install CCTV cameras and gather information about potential targets.
The alleged use of local operatives is now a key focus of the investigation as agencies work to identify the wider network and determine the extent of its activities across different states.
Crackdown Ahead of August 15
The operation was launched days before Independence Day, when security agencies traditionally maintain heightened vigilance because of the potential for attacks or other disruptive activities.
The government said the August 12 action was specifically intended to disrupt activities allegedly planned around August 15.
The multi-state operation involved coordination between central security agencies and state police units, allowing authorities to act simultaneously against suspected members and associates of the network.
Government Signals Zero Tolerance
Amit Shah described the coordinated action as an example of the government's policy of “zero tolerance” towards cross-border terrorism.
The government said security agencies would continue intelligence-led operations to identify and dismantle remaining networks allegedly linked to SBN.
The crackdown also comes amid continued concerns among Indian security agencies about Pakistan-based organisations allegedly using local networks and sleeper operatives for surveillance, recruitment and attacks inside India.
Investigation Continues
With more than 80 FIRs registered and over 200 arrests made, investigators are expected to examine the alleged operational structure of the network, its local contacts and its sources of weapons and explosives.
The recovery of IEDs, grenades, firearms and surveillance equipment is likely to remain a central part of the investigation.
Authorities have said the coordinated action prevented alleged plans linked to the Independence Day period, while further operations are expected as agencies attempt to identify additional individuals connected with the network.
The government has maintained that dismantling such cross-border networks remains a key component of its broader counter-terrorism strategy.
ISI-Backed Shahzad Bhatti Network Busted, 253 Detained Across 14 States
Digital desk
Indian security agencies carried out a coordinated multi-state crackdown against the Pakistan-based Shahzad Bhatti Network (SBN) on August 12, detaining 253 people across 14 states ahead of Independence Day, according to the government.
The operation was aimed at disrupting alleged plans for subversive activities around August 15. More than 80 FIRs have been registered against the network so far, while more than 200 arrests have been made under various laws, including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and legislation dealing with arms, narcotics and explosives.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah said the operation had dismantled what the government described as an ISI-backed network and prevented its alleged plans to carry out attacks ahead of Independence Day.
253 Detained Across 14 States
According to the government, the crackdown was conducted jointly with state police forces through a real-time intelligence-sharing mechanism.
Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of detentions at 62, followed by Haryana with 52, Delhi with 51 and Punjab with 44.
Rajasthan reported 15 detentions, while Maharashtra recorded eight and Uttarakhand five. Karnataka, Gujarat and Bihar reported three detentions each.
Telangana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Kerala recorded two detentions each.
Fresh FIRs were also registered in Delhi and Karnataka as part of the coordinated action.
IEDs, Grenades Recovered
Security agencies also recovered weapons and surveillance equipment during the operations, according to the government.
The seized material included improvised explosive devices (IEDs), grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols and live ammunition.
Investigators also recovered CCTV cameras that the government said were allegedly being used for surveillance and espionage.
Amit Shah said the recoveries pointed towards alleged links between the network and Pakistan. The government has described SBN as a Pakistan-based terror syndicate allegedly involved in grenade, IED and petrol-bomb attacks as well as targeted killings in India.
Local Operatives Under Scanner
According to the government, the network allegedly relied on local conduits to conduct reconnaissance missions.
These operatives were allegedly tasked with monitoring police installations, defence establishments and religious sites. Authorities also alleged that members of the network paid local contacts to install CCTV cameras and gather information about potential targets.
The alleged use of local operatives is now a key focus of the investigation as agencies work to identify the wider network and determine the extent of its activities across different states.
Crackdown Ahead of August 15
The operation was launched days before Independence Day, when security agencies traditionally maintain heightened vigilance because of the potential for attacks or other disruptive activities.
The government said the August 12 action was specifically intended to disrupt activities allegedly planned around August 15.
The multi-state operation involved coordination between central security agencies and state police units, allowing authorities to act simultaneously against suspected members and associates of the network.
Government Signals Zero Tolerance
Amit Shah described the coordinated action as an example of the government's policy of “zero tolerance” towards cross-border terrorism.
The government said security agencies would continue intelligence-led operations to identify and dismantle remaining networks allegedly linked to SBN.
The crackdown also comes amid continued concerns among Indian security agencies about Pakistan-based organisations allegedly using local networks and sleeper operatives for surveillance, recruitment and attacks inside India.
Investigation Continues
With more than 80 FIRs registered and over 200 arrests made, investigators are expected to examine the alleged operational structure of the network, its local contacts and its sources of weapons and explosives.
The recovery of IEDs, grenades, firearms and surveillance equipment is likely to remain a central part of the investigation.
Authorities have said the coordinated action prevented alleged plans linked to the Independence Day period, while further operations are expected as agencies attempt to identify additional individuals connected with the network.
The government has maintained that dismantling such cross-border networks remains a key component of its broader counter-terrorism strategy.
Recommended For You
--------
🚨 Beat the News Rush – Join Now!
Get breaking alerts, hot exclusives, and game-changing stories instantly on your phone. No delays, no fluff – just the edge you need. ⚡
Tap to join:
🟢 WhatsApp Channel: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Crave more?
🅕 Facebook: Dainik Jagran MP CG English
🅧 Twitter (X): Dainik Jagran MP CG
🅘 Instagram: Dainik Jagran MP CG
Share the fire – keep your crew ahead! 🗞️🔥
